Staying Active in the Workplace (+Shop our Fall Picks!)
Fall is here! The kids are back in school, the weather is starting to change and people are implementing new routines.
With the changing seasons, people may find it more difficult to stay active during the day. Between jobs that keep us sitting at our desks for 8+ hours a day, to the weather getting cooler and it getting dark out earlier, to kids’ schedules getting busier, it can be hard to find time to squeeze in the workouts that we enjoyed during the summer months.
As studies continually show links between inactivity and a multitude of health problems, it’s important to find ways to stay active throughout the day.
Check out our team's Top 5 tips for incorporating more activity into your workdays:
1. If you drive to work, start parking your car further away from the entrance. Those extra steps each day will add up! If you have the choice, opt to take the stairs over hopping in the elevator to up your step count, too.
2. At your desk, switch your chair out with an exercise ball to work your core during the day. Standing desks are also an increasingly trendy option in offices, so try standing for at least a couple of hours a day. Standing works more muscles than sitting all day and it can help your posture by preventing you from slouching.
3. Stretch—Taking the time to stretch at your desk can help you improve your posture, reduce back and neck pain, and help you feel more awake and energized throughout the day. Pausing during the day to give your body a much needed stretch can be a great mental break, too.
4. Wear an activity tracker. You can set your trackers to alert you to get moving throughout the day. Every time the alarm goes off, get up and go for a quick walk around the building, to the water cooler, or even the long route to the bathroom.
5. Start an in-office fitness challenge. Nothing like a little friendly competition to motivate you! Being surrounded by others trying to make healthy choices also makes it easier to stay on-track yourself. Perhaps you can organize a group walk at lunchtime, or the team member who walks the most miles in one week wins a prize.
And don’t forget that just because the weather is changing, you don’t have to give up the comfort of your OOFOS!
Shop some of our Fall Picks to keep you Feeling the OO:
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.